Health & Wellness
1–25 of 29 items | Next »
Helping Senior Renters Age In Place
- Sep 27, 2016
- New guides help housing developers and property managers meet the needs of aging residents
Community Development That Brings Better Health
- Sep 15, 2016
- A look at how place impacts health, and what we can do about it
Integrating Health and Housing
- Apr 1, 2016
- New set of briefs provides guidance for housing and health professionals
The Role of Anchor Institutions in Restoring Neighborhoods
- Mar 7, 2016
- National Housing Conference releases report on health institutions as a catalyst for affordable housing and community development
Network Commons: Social Impact Investing for Better Health
- Feb 26, 2016
- Four community investment experts share firsthand experiences driving capital into neighborhood-level projects to improve health and well-being.
Food Deserts Get Healthier Options
- Jan 25, 2016
- Strengthening the link between place, food access and health
Filling Vacancies With Food
- Dec 22, 2015
- Food Hub brings life to vacant storefront and better health to West Harlem residents
Health Center Collaborates with Grocery Store on Healthy Living in Brockton, Mass.
- Published in the Novogradac Journal of Tax Credits, Dec 11, 2015
- New Markets Tax Credit investment helps bring health care and healthy food choices to Brockton
Capital Plans and Needs of Health Centers
- Oct 19, 2015
- New study examines health centers' expansion plans in the face of growing needs
New Paper Highlights Nexus of Affordable Housing and Healthcare Reform
- Jun 3, 2015
- Report looks at new opportunities for housing providers and health care providers to work together in support of better health outcomes for low-income families and individuals.
Transforming Rural Communities Into Healthy Communities
- Susan Fitter Harris, Apr 2, 2015
- From clinics to cooking classes, rural CDCs find ways to bring healthier living to their communities.
Building Healthier Communities, One Data Point At a Time
- Feb 5, 2015
- Community developers are improving their use of health data to hone their attempts to build healthier neighborhoods.
A Hub Grows in Harlem
- Lisa Cowan, Dec 8, 2014
- In West Harlem, community champions lead their neighborhood to a healthier way of life.
Cooking from a new menu
- Nov 11, 2014
- In the Cypress Hills neighborhood in Brooklyn, helping residents eat more healthy, fresh foods is another part of community development.
In North Philadelphia, community organizing is path to better health
- Gordon Walek, Oct 28, 2014
- From health insurance to regular check-ups, outreach into the community helps residents get information and motivation to make a healthy choice.
The mighty Elm Playlot
- Carl Vogel, Sep 16, 2014
- How an ambitious park renovation turned a place to play into a job creator, a public safety program, a healthy food center and much more.
A new view of health
- Carl Vogel, Aug 19, 2014
- Community Health Advocates bring resources and build relationships that improve the health and wellness of residents.
Community development’s unseen benefit? Good health
- Amy Gillman, Jul 15, 2014
- Building better communities helps residents live longer, stronger lives. That simple fact brings a whole new perspective to our work.
Neighborhoods beckon with summer activities
- Maria Hernandez, Jun 25, 2014
- An array of community programs in Chicago make summer more fun--and make their neighborhood a better place to be.
At the crossroads of housing and health care
- Bob Van Meter, Mar 17, 2014
- Comprehensive community development—with its focus on overall quality of life—is uniquely positioned to help short-circuit the link between poverty and poor health.
When making a healthy food choice is not an option
- Nancy Campbell, Apr 30, 2013
- A New York City food pantry is expanding to offer much more in an effort to fight the city's food deserts.
Improved KC communities improve resident health
- Sam Dolgin-Gardner, Mar 5, 2013
- Residents of Kansas City neighborhoods that are supported by LISC had lower blood pressure than similar neighborhoods without LISC programs, according to researchers.
- Carl Vogel, Apr 30, 2012
- New research shows that poor neighborhoods are much more dangerous for drivers and pedestrians
Soul searching in a food desert
- Jake Cowan, Apr 26, 2012
- A New York Times article on food deserts missed how important a grocery store is to a poor community--and why a comprehensive approach is crucial to improving local health.
Fresh Food + Exercise – Violence = Healthy Communities
- Ed Finkel, Apr 2, 2012
- Healthy community initiatives can be a part of programs that focus on everything from economic development to recreation.
1–25 of 29 items | Next »