Rural Community Development
This section contains articles about community development in Rural America.
A Grassroots Solution to Rural Poverty That Traveled All the Way to the White House
- Sherece Y. West-Scantlebury, Dec 7, 2016
- A multi-generational approach to poverty that is working in Blytheville, Arkansas
Livestreaming - The Future of Rural Communities: Implications for Housing
- May 10, 2016
- Federal Reserve livestreams rural housing policy conference
Investments in Art Fertilize Growth in Rural Towns
- Oct 19, 2015
- How homegrown creative placemaking initiatives are spurring growth in rural areas
Rural Community Developers Gather to Celebrate – and Build On – Their Successes
- Susan Fitter Harris, Jul 9, 2015
- Rural LISC’s 20th Anniversary seminar provided an opportunity to contemplate the road ahead for rural America
White House Acts On Rural Child Poverty
- May 1, 2015
- Faced with rising child poverty in rural areas, the White House Rural Council rolls out a new set of initiatives.
Helping Hands For a Community In Crisis
- Faye Fiore, Apr 17, 2015
- Rural LISC helps a CDC partner offer relief to drought-stricken San Joaquin Valley residents.
Federal Disaster Policy: Toward a More Resilient Future
- Apr 9, 2015
- HUD's "Evidence Matters" examines federal disaster policy and models for building community resilience in urban and rural settings.
Transforming Rural Communities Into Healthy Communities
- Susan Fitter Harris, Apr 2, 2015
- From clinics to cooking classes, rural CDCs find ways to bring healthier living to their communities.
Community Development Through a Rural Lens
- Suzanne Anarde, Mar 20, 2015
- In Rural America, the community may look a little different, but the goals of community development are the same.
More alike than different
- Micah Gursky, Oct 21, 2012
- What works in rural community development is what works in cities—especially when you plan for any differences in scale.
Planning for rural demographics
- John Niederman, Oct 21, 2012
- In Huntington, Indiana, a nonprofit is jumpstarting a conversation about how comprehensive community development can help reverse long-term population loss.